Saturday 23 February 2008

At last - A Thrush

For several months I have been mindful of taking a photograph of a thrush. These birds tend to avoid people and fly off or keep at a distance. I have often seen them flying between the trees in local parks and have photographed them at a distance.
This little fellow, a Mistle Thrush, happened to settle on some recently cultivated and mulched garden where it was able to find a good supply of displaced snails. The bird was so distracted by this abundance of food that it did not seem to notice me or mind my presence. Needless to say, I now have a bunch of photographs of this thrush, enough to satisfy my need.

This morning I received a phone call from our friend Marcia. She is as old as Methuselah, but still manages to visit or keep in touch with half the population of this planet - or so it seems. She had fallen on a staircase in a cafe and injured her back - perhaps a cracked rib below her shoulder blade - very painful. Hope she recovers soon and all our best wishes are with her.

Last time Marcia came to visit us at the Potteries from her Fenland Home, we took her to see friends in Manchester. There is always an interesting adventure to be had with this lady. I have seen her with a Steam Locomotive, handling an owl, traveling on inland water taxis and generally getting up to gentle mischief in all aspects of her life. We seem to have known her for years.

On one occasion, I collected her from a friend in Kidderminster who was a sundial expert, we had an adventure at Ironbridge on the way to Stoke, where she was awarded a certificate for her crossing, then spent some time looking at teddy bears before arriving at our destination. Just for starters!

No comments: