Sunday 6 December 2009

Wholemeal Bread

Heage Windmill is a heritage site run by the Heage Windmill Society, a charitable trust. It is a distinct part of the Derbyshire landscape near Belper and the mill is in part working order, having one of its two stone sets turning to mill flour. The trust and the millers give guided tours to visitors for a small fee, and this supports the maintainance of this windmill.

I often purchase my flour from source for bread making. Much of this has recently been from Rowsley Mill, a watermill near Bakewell. During maintenance, they buy in flour, so I have purchased some from Heage this year. The bags are initialled by the millers who worked on the flour milling for each batch.

The wholemeal flour is just a little finer than the quality I am used to, so I thought that I would make a purely wholemeal loaf, something that I seldom do.

0.8Kg wholemeal flour
6g dried yeast
10g castor sugar
30ml oil
warm water

Put the dry ingredients into a large bowl and whisk dry to mix. Add some warm water and the oil and mix thoroughly. add a little more water if needed until a very stiff dough is produced. Add a sprinkling of flour and kneed the dough into a firm ball. I put a drop of oil into the bowl and use the dough to spread it around. This stops the dough from sticking to the bowl. Leave to rise for at least an hour, to double in size.

Knock down the dough and kneed again. In this instance I made two roles and a loaf, standing the dough for another hour to rise, before baking at 200 degrees Celsius (rolls for 17 minutes, loaf for 25 minutes). Cool for at least two hours before eating.
Wholemeal bread has a solid texture and a nutty flavour which is ideal with cheese and pickle or thick soup. This was the first wholemeal loaf I have made this year, my usual bread is 45% wholemeal and 65% strong white flour. I have recently started to make multi-grain loaves using 6 or 8 flour types. If you take a hand full of whole grains and blitz them in to a course flour before adding them to the dry mix, the resulting flavour in the bread is exceptionally good.


http://www.heagewindmill.org.uk/

http://bread.pursglove-ons.co.uk/

1 comment:

Robert said...

See you blog about breadmaking and reading others you have posted, I thought I would tell you about a dream I had last night about making cakes for the Crocus CafĂ©. I gave them half a cake free and if they liked it, they could buy a second cake for £8 — this way they got 18 slices to sell for £8. Subsequent orders cost them £6 and I made money for Crocus in the process. I included a web-link so people could download the recipe. I made money and Crocus made money. Is this marketing ploy original? You and Rosie could do this better than I could. As for me, I have one unsolicited £5 order for an Everythingless Cake.