Tuesday 15 January 2019

The Crash cometh

I have been running X-Plane 11.26 on my windows computer with an i3 Quad processor and an Intel HDD integrated graphics card for some time, without too many issues.  The frame rate was at best 10 fps which is quite slow and the scenery definition was turned down close to minimum.
The result was OK - but that did not matter as I only use this computer for scenery design and checking the general results of scenery tweaks.

X-Plane 11.30 has now been released and all X-Plane 11 systems have been updated to this version.  The demand on the graphics card and processor was too much for this limited setup and the flight simulator froze on screen.  I was expecting this to happen as I have been testing 11.30 on my Linux machine for some time.

I have just installed a new graphics card, Geforce GTX 1050ti 4BG GDDR5, which is a mid range image processor.  My motherboard had 1 free slot and the power pack of the computer had enough extra output to drive this card.  A more powerful card would have required a bigger power pack.

The new card is running XP 11.30 at 30-35 fps which is far better than anything I have been able to run on this computer in  the past.  The processor is slower than the graphic card so I have had to increase the FPS setting on the sim to stop it stalling the image.
I can now see major landmarks at a greater distance than previously experienced on this computer.  This updated hardware has given the old machine a new lease of life.

No comments: