Thursday 4 July 2019

Gliding from Pocklington to Camp Hill

 I have designed a set of gliding airfields for X-Plane recently and thought it would be a challange to fly between two of them in a glider.  My choice of route was from Pocklington airfield in the Yorkshire Wolds, to Camphill in the Derbyshire Peaks.
My choice of sailplane was the Antares 20E.  This glider has an electric propeller that can be deployed to gain height in an emergency, but my intention is only to use the device as insurance.  A winch launch to 1000 feet is my starting point.
From Pocklington it is essential to fly in a southerly direction to Goole, then across east-south-east to Derbyshire and Camphill in order to avoid airfield no fly zones.  The glider will not make the journey in still air and out in the flatlands, rising air thermals are the only source of uplift.
Here, I have lift as I circle in a rising column of air.  The increase in altitude is slow and the thermals are not as frequent as I would like, but I manage to maintain an altitude between 1800 feet and 3000 feet for most of the flat terrain.
Heading southeast, the nav. panel shows the Camphill code ahead.  I just need to keep a general heading in that direction now.
Past the Ladybower Dams and with a little hill ridge riding on the air currents I am now in sight of the Cement works chimney near Castleton.  Camphill is on the left at the top of the ridge.  I am going in on a visual approach.
 
Down on the ground and I did not need the insurance pack, the aircraft batteries are still at full charge.
All, of the Navigation points for the flight were found and, apart from not setting the destination ground pressure to reset the altimeter, all went well.  Camphill is 1202 feet higher than Pocklington.  From a 1000 foot cable launch, thats not bad.

No comments: