Sunday 16 March 2008

Carrot for lunch

This week, Rosie and I were invigilating in the Kings Hall, Stoke. I used to invigilate at this venue until 2000, when the college changed its exam venue, and I had forgotten how intricate a building this hall is. The acoustics are reasonable and the lighting from the chandeliers is excellent. However, the hall is as cool as I remember, the students needed to wear coats at the start of the exams.

Yesterday, I made carrot soup. Today, after a brisk shopping spree we came home and warmed up half of the soup. It was a treat on such a glum day.

The recipe is simple. Dice an onion and fry it in oil for 5 minutes until soft. Dice 6 carrots (800g) and add to the onion. Sweat for about 10 minutes. Add (at least) 1 litre of water (or stock), freshly grated nutmeg, chopped coriander, a little paprika, the juice of an orange and a little orange zest. Boil, then simmer for 40 minutes. Cool, then liquidize very thoroughly. Warm to serve.
It goes well with home made bread and a glass of lemon cordial. The rest of the soup should keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days (it won't last any longer with my love of good food!)

No comments: