Saturday 28 May 2011

The joy of catnip

 Cat mint seldom survives in our garden as it is crushed by the myriad of moggies that frequent the place.  To alleviate this problem I have inverted a wire hanging basket and screwed it to the top of a pot of cat mint.  This has not stopped Chloe from having a go at it, but at least the lower stems and leaves will be protected.
 Rosie had the idea that if we placed the pot against a wall and surrounded it with other pots, at least some of the flowers would survive.  It was not long before Max found it and started rubbing the wire basket.  I suppose a plant that smells of old tomcat has its own appeal.
 Whilst in the garden, it was clear that the chives were attracting rather a lot of bees.  I counted 5 species on one clump of chives.
 There were also a few solitary bees, which are much smaller than the bumble bees and honey bees.

My list of observed species is;

Red Tailed Bumblebee - Bombus lapidarius
Red Tailed Bumblebee - Bombus rudararius
White Tailed Bumblebee - Bombus lucorum
Garden Bumblebee - Bombus hortorum
Solitary Bee - Colletes daviesanus

Lots of other insects were busy in the garden.  I spotted this fly on a hydranga leaf.  I would not attempt to identify the species as there are so many of them and I am not an expert by any means.

No comments: