Friday 30 May 2008

More Deer

Today, we went for a walk in the Oak Forest on Trentham Estates. Our intention was to walk in the Kings Wood, but after the high winds, there are a lot of unsafe trees in that part of the forest. We came across a herd of Fallow deer quietly grazing at the forest edge. I always feel quite privileged when I am able to photograph such shy animals without disturbing them.
I noticed that the stags are starting to grow antlers. Same have stumps of velvet about 4 or 5 cm long, which will eventually grow to form a full spread in a couple of months. A little way on from the deer, we saw a group of about 6 squirrels chasing on the forest floor.
I had to include this photograph of a crow perched on a long tree stump. I saw this bird in the distance and it stayed there until I was within camera range. This was an unusually large looking crow, but scale in the forest can be a little deceptive.

No comments: