Saturday 13 April 2024

Senior Citizens driving licence.

 When I hit 70 years of age, I need a new reduced range driving licence. My current paper licence allows me to drive all but HGV vehicles and that is all to change.  I have 90 days in which to make my application and it goes a bit like this.

1. Fill out the form on the DVLC website for an application.  This can only be done within 90 days prior to your 70th Birthday.  The DVLC will send you an application form by post.

2. The application pack arrived in 6 days and it contained a form, a return envelope and an instruction sheet.

a. Fill in the form with my personal details - easy.

b. Take a current new passport size photograph of myself as specified in the form. Done.

c. Include evidence of original identity documents as specified on the form.  Done.

d. Have a witness sign my photograph and enter their personal details.

Now that last point was a challenge as the witness must be a current UK licence holder with a full photo driving licence.  Most of the people I know have a paper driving licence. My next door neighbours daughter kindly stepped up to the mark, so that is also done.

e. Return my current licence, cut in half (unless it has been declared lost).

f. Sign and date the form and submit it to DVLC by post.

3. The wait is now on to see if the DVLC can process my form within the specified time and deliver me a new photo card driving licence which will allow me to drive only vehicles within categories A and B on my old licence.  That is over 2 months away.

"Is it done yet" 

P.S. 26 Apr 2024 - I now have a photo driving licence and my evidence documents have been returned.  The licence will need renewing every 3 years under the present rules, but that should be straight forward now.

No comments: