Sunday 9 June 2024

The Badgers are causing trouble again.

This morning we saw a fox cub venturing in to eat food at the bird feeders. This is a brave individual.

I nipped to get a better camera for the job.  The cub hung around for a while.

Later, When I was checking around the garden I found a few potato plants had been decimated.  The Badgers !

There had been 4 potato plants dug up and the tubers eaten.  Another 2 plants had tubers dug out.  This was about 20% of my outdoor crop gone.

It was my fault as I have left an area where the badgers could tunnel in under the wire.  That has now been staked off using pegs and canes.  I have also planted an additional 3 potatoes from my reserve - They were intended to go into the greenhouse pots when I picked the indoor potatoes later this month.


In the mean time, I have been taking out the large Oxe-Eye daisies from the top lawn.  The area is being set to seed as lawn, with the intention of adding a seat below the Tulip Tree when the grass is well established. I have laid topsoil mixed with grass seed between the rows of bricks, the areas each side need the daisy roots removing and then dressing with lawn soil.

From this area I recovered 2 Holly shrubs, 2 Aquilegias, and transplanted blocks of Daisies into the back of one raised bed and to the hedge side of the meadow area.  There is also a rose shrub (self set) and a fern to be lifted later.
 
Quite an eventful day.

No comments: