Saturday 17 August 2024

Insect Hotel for the Winter

 I am in the process of systematically cutting back our meadow area starting with the edge of the side lawn.  I do this with hand clippers so that I do not damage any of the garden planting.  It also allows me to see if anything is crawling through the grass.

The "Bug Nest" is a set of 3 garden canes tied in a pyramid shape and pushed into the ground.  This will hold all of the cuttings from the side lawn and other garden offcuts. 3 short conifer logs are placed at the base and that is covered with heather offcuts.  This prevents the grass cuttings sucking up water from the ground. Then a layer of grass cuttings, a layer of thicker offcuts and 3 retaining canes laid horizontally inside the support canes to stop the load shifting.  A short cane pushed downwards through the vegetation to pin it together then repeat.......

This is half of the stack, with 3 piles of grass cuttings added, and 3 cross canes at each level.  There is a wild strawberry plant that I have not cut back, just in front of the shrubbery edge.

This is the first time I have notices a wild strawberry in the garden, so I have kept it to see how it progresses.

That's enough for today - Lunch beckons.




No comments: