Tuesday 29 March 2016

Muckle Flugga

 I recently saw a program on TV that features a visit to Muckle Flugga Lighthouse, the most northerly lighthouse in the UK.  Just for fun, I tried to find this lighthouse on my Microsoft Flight Simulator - The rocky island was not there!

This lighthouse is on a rock outcrop just north of Unst, the most northerly island in the Shetlands.  The top of the rock was removed and the lighthouse was built to protect shipping  and mark the limits of the UK.  To redress this oversight on the flight simulator, I have made a rough model of Muckle Flugga to see how it sits on the simulator.  This is the first test flight.
 Flying north across Unst, the lighthouse is visible ahead to the left of this screen shot as I approach Balta Sound.
 The radar tracking station in north Unst is visible on the route out to sea.
The rocky outcrop at Muckle Flugga (Steep Sided Island) is represented in a crude form.  It has a working helipad. I am tempted to leave this as a basic mapform image.  Fully contouring and colouring the island is a time consuming job which I am reluctant to do at present.  Such an addition is OK if I intend to land helicopters on the outcrop, but I am unlikely to see this island below 5000 feet in a flypast, so this image will do the job for me.

No comments: