Monday 17 May 2021

Flying High

 Having logged onto XP11 to check out the progress of my airport design for Aston Down airfield, I decided to see if I could do a hop across the Severn to Gwenesney in  South Wales.

This was a cable launch to about 1000 feet from the main runway.
Just off of the airfield I found a suitably large thermal of rising air and tucked my glider into its lift space.
Wow! had to come off at 13000 feet as I have no oxygen and no pressurised cabin.  That was a good climb.

Gwenesney is due West across the Severn estuary about 50 miles away.  That should be about 50 minutes or so at my current flight speed.

Just opened the Avitab to check the location as I approach the airfield.
At about 10000 feet, that is a long and difficult descent - I have more than enough altitude to fly on to Talgarth in the Welsh Hills.  330 degrees should bring me within site of that airfield with altitude to spare.
Within visual of Talgarth I am still above 6000 feet.  I need to lose altitude and take care not to encounter uplift from the hill ridges as I descend.
Spoilers out to accelerate sink rate and stay clear of the ridges.
Sinking as fast as I can and the airfield in view, I will need to keep full spoilers out until I touch the runway.  Talgarth is a downhill approach to an uphill slope on a saddleback field with big trees around, not for the faint hearted.

Only one go, so you have to get it right.  Gliders do not go round for a second try....

When I started this adventure, I did not expect such an interesting outcome.



No comments: