Sunday 12 December 2021

Duxford to Crowland by Tiger

The tiger in question is a DH82 Tiger Moth which is parked at IWM Duxford on my Flight Simulator.  The task is to move the aircraft to Crowland Airfield in the Fens.
The first job in this type is to dip the fuel and see if the tank has enough content to last the flight. A quick walk around inspection, set the instruments, check the maps and compass and start the engine and we are ready to go.  No fancy navigation aids on this aircraft, just a radio link to air traffic control and a visual flight plan with compass bearings.

A nod from the controllers and I can Taxi out to runway 24R which is the grass runway.  With this tail dragger you must look around the nose to see where you are going when on the ground.

Take off is always quick in a light biplane and I am at 500 feet by the middle of the runway.  Just need to clear the runway before turning to bearing 330 on the compass.
Just above 1500 feet with the altimeter reset to QNN - 29.92 inches of mercury, which is the standard in flight setting for all aircraft world wide.  Proceed on heading until I reach my map reference point to the next bearing.

Having flown North West to a point due South of Crowland, I reset the compass to North.  That will take me to my destination without the need to fly around any air restrictions and at 1600 feet I am well below any other scheduled traffic, so I just need to keep an eye out for any small aircraft in my vicinity.

Approaching the Fens, the land surface is very flat, so roads, railways and rivers become a key navigation aid to my location.  Many of the fenland roads are straight, with distinct corners on the map.
With a visual on the airfield, I need to lose speed and descend to an approach altitude.  I also need to make sure that the ground control clears me to land.  This aircraft approaches at about 55-60 knots which gives a safe manoeuvring airspeed.

Runway alignment achieved with appropriate speed and altitude for final descent.  No flaps, fixed undercarriage and no need to re-trim - its just fly onto the runway and stop.

Over the runway thresh-hold at about 40 knots and let the aircraft sink slowly onto the grass field.  Rotate slowly at about 6 feet.

Having taxied back to the parking area, a final check and switch off.  Make sure fuel valve is closed and wheel chocks are in place.  Covers and surface locks attached, then its off to the cafe for a cuppa.

It is said that anyone can fly a Tiger Moth, but to fly it well is an acquired skill.

No comments: